Use your iPhone as a wireless speaker
This post will show you how to use your iPhone as a wireless speaker so that you can stream your iTunes library (or any application) to your iPhone.
(This will only work within Wi-Fi range of your computer running iTunes)
This set is up uses the following:
- MacBook (2008 model)
- iPhone 3G 8Gb (Jailbroken)
- Airfoil speakers touch
- Remote app
- Backgrounder (via Cydia)
To get this to work you will need to Jailbreak your device, if you are scared of doing so – don’t be. There are plenty of posts around to help you. The reason that you need to Jailbreak is so that you can install Backgrounder – a nifty little app that allows you to run applications in the background (i.e after you have pressed the home button). We will use this to run Airfoil (an app that allows you to stream audio from a Mac/PC to your iPhone) in the background is so that we can control iTunes on the host machine by using the Remote app.
In order to get it all working simply follow these steps:
- On your Mac install iTunes and make sure it is the latest version.
- Ensure that your Mac is connected via Wi-Fi or your router has Wi-Fi or there is a Wi-Fi device on your network. Also make sure that your Wi-Fi is activated on your iPhone and is on the same network.
- Install the Remote app on your iPhone and get it connected to iTunes on your Mac.
- Install Airfoil on your Mac and set the audio source as iTunes
- Install Airfoil Speaker on your iPhone
- Download the Backgrounder app via Cydia and in the Backgrounder preferences set Airfoil to automatically run.
- Open up Airfoil Speaker on your iPhone and connect to Airfoil on your Mac (this should be automatic if both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network).
- Press the home button (if Backgrounder is enabled then it will still be running)
- Open the Remote app on your iPhone and start playing some music
- With any luck, you will be able to control your Mac from your iPhone and have the music streamed back to you via Airfoil.
- Walk around your house with a smug look on your face as you marvel at how brilliant the iPhone is – again!!